- Born: 4 May 1878, Hope, Flintshire, Wales
- Marriage (1): MALE, Richard Waddon on 5 Apr 1903 in Blackburn, Lancashire, England
- Marriage (2): GREGG, Harold Edward on 20 Jul 1914 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Died: 8 Nov 1928, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada aged 50
Hope is a small village in Flintshire, north-east Wales.
The village is located approximately 3 miles / 4.5 km from the Wales-England border, on the course of the River Alyn .
Hope belongs to a small group of closely related villages in its local area, including Caergwrle , Abermorddu and Cefn-y-bedd . One of the major features in the area is Hope Mountain (Mynydd yr Hob), to the west of the village, along with the extensive farmland of Shordley.
Today this area is a suburb of Liverpool.
Death Date 08 Nov 1928 Death Place New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada Name Jemima Gregg Gender Female Age 46y 6m 4d Birth Date 04 May 1882 Birthplace, Wales Marital Status Married Spouse Harold Edward Gregg Father Edward Edwards Mother Jane
This birth year is out of range of the other sources
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1891. Jemima Edwards Age: 15 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876 Relation: Daughter Father's Name: Edward Edwards Mother's Name: Jane Edwards Gender: Female Where born: Hope, Flintshire, Wales Civil Parish: Hope Ecclesiastical parish: St Cynfarch Town: Howd County/Island: Flintshire Country: Wales Registration District: Chester Sub-registration District: Hawarden ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Neighbors: Piece: 2870 Folio: 108 Page Number: 26
Household Members: NameAge
Edward Edwards 52
Jane Edwards 53
Jemima Edwards 15
Emily Edwards 11
Sarah Ann Edwards 7
• Census, 1901. Jemima Edwardes Event Type: Census Event Date: 31 Mar 1901 Gender: Female Age: 25 Relationship to Head of Household: Servant Birthplace: Hope, Flintshire
Schedule Type: Household Registration District: Blackburn Sub-District: Blackburn Northern Ecclesiastical Parish: St Silas Civil Parish: Blackburn District/Parish/County: Lancashire
Gemma Edwards Age: 25 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876 Relation: Servant Gender: Female Where born: Wales; Hope, Kent, England Civil Parish: Blackburn Ecclesiastical parish: St Silas County/Island: Lancashire Country: England
Registration District: Blackburn Sub-registration District: Blackburn, Household Schedule Number: 102 Piece: 3904 Folio: 177 Page Number: 15 Household Members:
Eli Heyworth 61
Elizabeth Heyworth 53
Ethel Heyworth 24
Laurence Heyworth 20
Robert Spencer 20
Annie E Mather 35
Emily Singleton 17
Mary J Williams 28
Gemma Edwards 25
Catharine Hardman 17
Looking at the actual census sheet it is obvious that Gemma is Jemima
• Immigration, 1907. Mrs J Male Gender: Female Age: 31 Birth Date: abt 1876 Departure Date: 18 Oct 1907 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England Destination Port: Quebec; Montreal, Canada Ship Name: Empress of Ireland Master: Forster
A look at the actual ships log shows she was accompanied by a male child, 3 years old.
• Census, 1911, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada. address 390-16th avenue
The Electoral District says New Westminster, Richmond but the address is really in Vancouver as only Point Grey and South Vancouver were part of the Vancouver Electoral district in 1911.
Male Jemima 34 British Columbia New Westminster Richmond riding 8 26 4
Male Harold 2 British Columbia New Westminster Richmond riding 8 26 5
Male Richard 8/12 British Columbia New Westminster Richmond riding 8 26 6
This makes birth year 1877
• Residence, Jun 1911, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. According to the 1911 census she and the two boys live at 390 16th avenue
According to the 1911 Henderson directory she lives at 390 16th avenue East and is a widow of Richard.
• Residence, 1913-1914, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Mrs J Male lived at 3150 Main st according to the Henderson directory
• Marriage License, 20 Jul 1914, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. says Jemima birth 1878
Jemima married Richard Waddon MALE, son of James MALE and Jane Ellen, on 5 Apr 1903 in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. (Richard Waddon MALE was born in 1874 in Stretford, Lancashire, England, christened on 14 Oct 1874 in Stretford (St Matthew), Lancashire, England and died on 24 May 1910 in New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Research: Blackburn, Lancashire, England. Edwards Jemina Blackburn 8e 635
Male Richard Waddon Blackburn 8e 635
Richard Haddon Male Marriage Date: 5 Apr 1903 Parish: Spotland, St Clement Parish as it Appears: St Clement, Spotland, Rochdale Spouse's Name: Jemima Edwards Reference Number: L247 Item Number: 3 Archive Roll: 636
Jemima next married Harold Edward GREGG, son of William Robert GREGG and Jane (Jennie) Drysdale ALLEN, on 20 Jul 1914 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. (Harold Edward GREGG was born on 22 Mar 1880 in Ontario, Canada and died on 25 Jun 1943 in Essondale, British Columbia, Canada.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Research. Marriage Date 20 Jul 1914 Marriage Place Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Groom's Name Harold Edward Gregg Groom's Age 34 Groom's Birth Date 1880 Groom's Birthplace , Ontario Groom's Marital Status Bachelor Groom's Father's Name William Robert Gregg Groom's Mother's Name Jennie Allen
Bride's Name Jemima Male Bride's Age 36 Bride's Birth Date 1878 Bride's Birthplace Hope, North Wales Bride's Marital Status Widowed Bride's Father's Name Edward Edwards Bride's Mother's Name Jane Jones
The wedding was at First Presbyterian Church (see picture of wedding licence) which in 1914 was at the address of 300 East Hastings at the corner of Gore avenue. This corner is now the First United Church of Vancouver.