ROBERG, Eli Mathiasdattar (Bestemor)
- SOLVBERG, Nils Nilsson
- SOLBERG, Caroline (Aunt Cad)+
- SOLBERG, Mattias (Uncle Matt)
- SOLBERG, Ole N (Andrew)+
- SOLBERG, Marte Iverine
- SOLBERG, Martha Iverine+
- SOLBERG, Ella Marie
- SOLBERG, Elias (Eli) Andrew+
- SOLBERG, Anna Malena+
- SOLBERG, Noah+
- SOLBERG, Elma+
- GJERDE, Carl Alfred (Ted)+
SOLBERG, Nils Nilssen (Bestafar)
- Born: 28 Feb 1856, Inntunstova, Solvberg, Innvik, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
- Christened: 2 Mar 1856, Innvik, Nordfjord, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
- Marriage: ROBERG, Eli Mathiasdattar (Bestemor) on 14 Jun 1877 in Innvik, Nordfjord, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
- Died: 16 Feb 1936, Ryley, Alberta, Canada aged 79
- Buried: Ryley Cmtry., Ryley, Alberta
Name: Nils Nilsen Gender: Male Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Mar 1856 Baptism/Christening Place: INNVIK,SOGN OG FJORDANE,NORWAY Birth Date: 28 Feb 1856 Father's Name: Nils Noahsen Mother's Name: Marthe Andersdr
Noted events in his life were:
• Research. A house was built on the Solvberg farm for Nils and Eli in 1886.
Nils and Eli left for North America in 1889. They had been married 11 years and had 5 children. They probably landed in New York and moved to a farm at Woonsocket, South Dakota.
Daughter Martha was born there and remembers having to avoid rattle snakes in the farmyard (no wonder they moved to Alberta).
In 1902 they moved to the Ryley, Alberta area in Canada, traveling by train to Wetaskawin, Alberta and then by wagon to the homestead.
Peter Davick followed from South Dakota and married Caroline in 1902.
The name Solvberg was changed to Solberg when they came to North America, which was a common mistake by the Immigration officials.
• Alt. Birth, 1855. Solberg book has birth date as 26 Feb 1855
• Occupation, 1889, Bergset, Norway. Worked as carpenter building and repairing boats
Lived for some time at Røberg and some years at the Bergset boathouses. In 1889 they left with five children for America. At first they lived in S. Dakota, then some time in Wiskonsin, and returned to S. Dakota and farmed there for 10 years. Then they moved to Ryley, Alberta in Canada where they settled
• Immigration, 18 May 1889, to South Dakota, USA. From Bergsetnausta Norway to South Dakota USA
Arrived in New York from Liverpool on the SS Gallia on the 31 May 1889
Note that this is different from some records in the Solberg family
Norwegian records have:
582 1889 950 18/5 Nils Nilsen Sølvberg 33 1856 m Indviken Indviken g. p Grdmd Cunard
583 1889 951 18/5 Eli Mathiasdatter Sløvberg 33 1856 f Indviken Indviken g. frgs Hustru Cunard
584 1889 952 18/5 Nils Nilsen Sølvberg 12 1877 m Indviken Indviken p Børn Cunard
585 1889 953 18/5 Karoline Nilsdatter Sølvberg 9 1880 f Indviken Indviken Børn Cunard
586 1889 954 18/5 Mathias Nilsen Sølvberg 7 1882 m Indviken Indviken Børn Cunard
587 1889 955 18/5 Ole Nilsen Sølvberg 5 1884 m Indviken Indviken Børn Cunard
588 1889 956 18/5 Martha Nilsdatter Sølvberg 3 1886 f Indviken Indviken Børn Cunard
• Census, 1900, Viola township, Jerauld county, South Dakota, USA. Immigration Year: 1889 Enumeration District: 0202
Nels Solberg Head M 44 Norway
Ale Solberg Wife F 44 Norway
Caroline Solberg Daughter F 14 Norway
Matthias Solberg Son M 18 Norway
Ole Solberg Son M 16 Norway
Mattie Solberg Daughter F 11 South Dakota
Ella Solberg Daughter F 8 South Dakota
Elias Solberg Son M 6 South Dakota
Amia Solberg Daughter F 3 South Dakota
Noa Solberg Daughter F 1 South Dakota
• Land: Grant, 1904, Near Ryley Alberta. Nils SW 36 49 18 W4
Matt NW 36 49 18 W4
• Research, 14 Sep 1914. Nils went home to Norway for a visit. On the return he listed in Norwegian records as travelling from Bergen to Ryley. His name also shows as arriving at Ellis island, New Yok with $25 in his pocket and no ticket home.
Nils married Eli Mathiasdattar (Bestemor) ROBERG, daughter of Mattis Ivarson Ulvedal ROBERG and Cathrine Nilsdotter VERLO, on 14 Jun 1877 in Innvik, Nordfjord, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway. (Eli Mathiasdattar (Bestemor) ROBERG was born on 7 May 1856 in Utvik, Nordfjord, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway, christened on 18 May 1856 in Innvik, Nordfjord, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway, died on 23 Jan 1948 in Ryley, Alberta, Canada and was buried in Ryley Cmtry., Ryley, Alberta.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Remarks. Groom's Name Nils Nilsen Bride's Name Eli Mathisdr Marriage Date 14 Jun 1877 Marriage Place Innvik,Sogn Og Fjordane,Norway Groom's Father's Name Nils Noasen Groom's Bride's Father's Name Mathis Iversen